Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Waiting

They never ask if they can accompany me to the appointment,

But rather show up a few days in advance unannounced.

I try to forget about them, but they have a strong grasp on my psyche.

When I arrive at the doctor's office, they are ever present;

I am unable to put them out of my head as I did in the days before.

I sit down to wait and they are on both sides of me, sitting down next to me for the interim.

"Worry," I try to say with as much confidence as I can muster, "would you mind terrribly if I

asked you to go sit on the other side of the room?" "Sorry," he replies, "I'm told not to leave

you." I turn to Anxiety on my left, smoking a cigarette and tapping his foot, "Could you kindly

retreat to the hall?" "Nope," he manages between vigorous puffs, "You're my oxygen."

My thoughts race as I try to rise from the bench and get free from the grip of these fiends, but I

am paralyzed. My cell phone receives a text message and I open it -- it is from Peace. She says

that if I accept Worry and Anxiety they will get bored and leave. You are an Angel, I reply.

I put my phone away and look at the devilish imps as I say, "I understand why you are here.

I am only human." Anxiety gets frustrated and grunts as Worry throws his hands in the

air. Anxiety stands up and says "We can't do any more here! Let's go get a cup of coffee." And

as they leave the room, I'm just a little more at peace.

No comments: